Nobody likes getting sick….especially not when they are on vacation. Use these 7 tips to aggressively fight whatever it is that’s suppressing your immune system and start enjoying your vacation!
All year round you work your butt off just daydreaming of that two week vacation you get in early April, finally the day has come and you’re more than ready to hit the sandy beaches of Hawaii. Upon arrival you have a few sniffles but you just brush it off… the next day you wake up sick. What a shame! Don’t like the sick bug ruin your vacation.
I know from personal experience how it sucks being sick on your vacation… I recently traveled to a few countries and I just consecutively kept on getting sick! In Japan, I developed viral meningitis… In Thailand I got a sinus and ear infection and in the Dominican I got sick with God only knows what…Dengue Fever? All of that and finally I learned how to boost up my immune system and therefore fight off the bad bugs and prevent any future illnesses from coming my way (hopefully).
They first most important thing is to understand WHY you are getting sick.
- 1. Going from freezing cold to scorching hot climates – This puts a huge toll on the body and a lot of stress as the body has to adjust to the new temperature. Dr Aamerah Shah, a primary care specialist at the American Hospital Dubai speaks out on the changes the body goes through simply from going into the malls in Dubai. Some of the malls are as cold as 19°C where outside temperatures are upwards of 35°C.”It dries off your skin, the mucus membrane and the eyes. We see patients who say they went to the malls or their offices and it was extremely cold. Eye infections, respiratory infections and muscular spasms are caused by this change in temperature,” Dr Shah said. The same goes for traveling from a colder climate to a hot climate.
- 2. Consuming more junk food – Don’t deny it, that all you can eat buffet didn’t eat itself! Isn’t it a love hate relationship with those all inclusive resorts? You just HAVE to try this and that and pretty soon you return home from your vacation with an extra 5 lbs. Well, the weight might be the least of your worries. Eating an increasing amount of unhealthy foods such as pastries, burgers, fried foods and deserts will actually lower your immune system. Why? because once these foods enter the body, they are considered toxic and the body is actively focussing on getting rid of them. These toxic foods accumulate over time and create a toxic acid-producing environment which is a non-alkaline environment. Alkalinity is the key to health! Wait what’s that? Let’s take a quick look at the pH scale. A pH level measures how acid or alkaline something is. A pH of 0 is totally acidic, while a pH of 14 is completely alkaline. A pH of 7 is neutral. Foods that are water rich are naturally more alkaline than processed and fried foods. This means the more you eat like a rabbit the more alkaline your body will be.
- 3. Not staying hydrated or Hydrating with the wrong substances – It’s so much easier when you have your jumbo mug at home that you walk around with all day and drink at any time… on vacation you just don’t have such luxuries. It’s so easy to go the whole day without drinking any H20 OR rather than drinking water, you get some booze…una cerveza por favor? It’s nice to have a cold one by the pool, or maybe 2 or 3… Can you guess the problem with this? Your body actually treats alcohol like a TOXIN, if you drank poison and drank alcohol your body would work the same way to eliminates it…. that puts it into perspective.
Okay so now what do you need to do if you get sick and it’s crunch time, you gotta heal ASAP. Well what i’m about to tell you may not sound appealing, but you gotta do it!
- 1. Drink green drink – You’re probably picturing some drink with the picture of the hulk on it….close… green drink is any green powder that mixes with water and contains hundreds of vitamins and minerals and is completely alkaline. You can find it at any health food store but the best ones are found online such as pH Miracle Doc Broc’s Power Plants. ” It contains a powerful blend of various alkalizing fruits, grasses and vegetables which are chlorophyll-rich and abundant in anti-oxidants.. These mighty phytonutrients help energize, optimize, and revitalize the body” – The label. I feel healthier just reading that! Pop a scoop into each water bottle and drink your way to energy and good health!
- 2. Add lemon to your water– If you’re sick of drinking green drink don’t settle for regular water…did you know that bottled water is actually acidic? Here’s the pH of the most popular water bottle brands:
Aquafina – Ph 5.96
Perrier Water – Ph 5.28
Aqua Panna – Ph 8.2
Evian – Ph 7.53
Fiji Water – Ph 6.65
Smart Water -Ph 6.97
Trinity – Ph 9.55 (I’ve never heard of this brand before but woah..)
Adding a piece of lemon to your water will alkalize your water. Even though lemon is an acid, once it is inside the body it becomes alkaline. Did you know that cancer CANNOT grow in an alkaline body?
- 3. Eat a clove of garlic – I warned you this wouldn’t be appealing…. but if you ate 1 clove of raw garlic per day imagine how healthy you’d be? When i’m sick, It’s crunch time and I aim to eat 1.5 cloves of garlic per day. I take nibbles at a time and chug it down with water, this makes it tolerable. Garlic contains a healthy dose of Allicin. “A 2001 study published in the journal Advances In Therapy found a daily garlic supplement can reduce the number of colds by 63 percent compared to not taking supplements. Moreover, the average length of cold symptoms was also reduced to 70 percent, from five days in the control group to 1.5 days in garlic supplement group. These findings suggest the allicin-containing supplement has a protective effect against the common cold” (Borreli, 2015).
- 4. Cut the junk food and alcohol out – Enough said
- 5. Take Vitamin C supplement – Take at least 4000mg of vitamin c per day to fight off a cold. You cannot overdose on Vitamin C, if you take more than your body can absorb, it will be excreted in your pee.
- 6. Eat less and Rest More- When you’re ill, your body needs to focus all of it’s man power on healing. Guess what takes the most energy from your body…sex! Second comes digestion… so don’t overeat and let your body work on other things. The more sleep you get the better. Think of it this way, when you’re asleep you’re body thinks to itself, “finally!!” and gathers the troops to start on the night shift of recovering from the day’s worth of damages.
- 7. Don’t take cold suppressant medicine – As tempting as it may be, you don’t want to suppress that sneeze, cough, or runny nose. These are your body’s ways of ridding the body of toxins. Even sweating a lot is a good things as skin is the largest organ and one of the most efficient ways of secreting toxins.
So there you have it, these are the vital seven things you must do to heal quickly. Don’t wait to get better and don’t take medicines that will only suppress your symptoms, take action with these 7 healing tips.